Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Another way to survive a funeral

Don't go!! It might sound easy to say but it isn't. Pressure from family members or friends may make you feel guilty to go to a funeral but if you can't handle it don't go. Give yourself permission to say "No" to people and events. Ofcourse a funeral is a place to offer respect however unless someone has lost a child they will have no idea how painful the event could be for you.
Saying "No" also is important in other areas of your life. You have to know your boundaries and that of your family. You have to be aware of the triggers or the events that you may need to stay away from.
About 4 months after DJ passed away I went to a company meeting, I wasn't prepared for anything of DJ to pop up--it was a business meeting, I didn't even think I would need to be ready for something. Within 15 steps of exiting my car a co-worker approached me about how sorry she was for my loss, this continued all day long. I wasn't prepared and it made me exhausted. I called my husband and talked to him about it during a break and he helped me through it and I remained at the meeting but I was physically and mentally drained after. I didn't say "No" to the event but I learned that I needed to be prepared for DJ things to pop up at almost anytime. I have learned this repeatedly over the years!

No comments:

Post a Comment